Nancy Black Norelli brings her experience as a District Court Judge in Mecklenburg County to her role as a mediator. Nancy served as a judge for eight years where she presided over 60 civil jury trials and 1,000 Family Court matters as well as more than 7,000 other cases. She also spent a year handling cases across North Carolina as an Emergency Judge.
The Superior Court has certified Nancy as a mediator since 1997. She is also certified as a Federal Mediator, Family Financial Mediator and Estates and Guardianship Mediator. Nancy is the founder and principal attorney at Norelli Law in Charlotte.
With her extensive courtroom experience, Nancy knows how the litigation process works — and how jurors reach verdicts. Her insight into the risks of going to trial helps her move parties toward a settlement through mediation. She has experienced mediation herself. That first-hand experience helps her to understand what the parties in a mediation go through as they strive to resolve a legal issue.
Nancy has expertise mediating a wide variety of cases, including, but not limited to:
- Business disputes including contracts and employment disputes
- Condemnation actions
- Declaratory judgment actions involving wills and trusts
- Inter-family trust and estate disputes – multi-state parties
- Alienation of affection
- Partnership disputes
- Wrongful death cases
- Personal injury
As a certified mediator in Estate and Guardianship and a Family Financial matters, she is available to mediate these issues across North Carolina:
- Will caveats
- Petition for elective share
- Contested trust provisions – trust reformation
- Contested probate administration, distribution and creditor claims
- Contested incompetency proceeding
- Child support
- Custody and visitation
- Equitable distribution