Lawyer Well-Being Week 2020 Resources
According to the National Task Force on Lawyer Well-Being and several other studies, too many lawyers aren’t thriving. In response, several organizations created the first annual Lawyer Well-Being Week: May 4-8, 2020. This week, organizations across the legal profession will lead and participate in activities that promote health and happiness among lawyers and their support teams. Miles Mediation & Arbitration supports Lawyer Well-Being Week and is committed to sharing information and resources for the legal community.
Over the past few years, there has been a coordinated effort to build awareness around lawyer well-being. National Task Force on Lawyer Well-Being formed in 2016 and published the groundbreaking The Path to Lawyer Well-Being: Practical Recommendations for Positive Change. Multiple organizations that care about well-being in the profession also are involved, including the ABA Law Practice Division Attorney Well-Being Committee, and the ABA Commission on Lawyer Assistance Program’s Well-Being Committee.
- Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine and Isolation During an Infectious Disease Outbreak, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- 5 Risks to Your Career as a Lawyer (and 3 Rules to Avoid Them!)
- To get free confidential, 24/7 support for anxiety, text “HOME” to the Crisis Text Line, 741741
- Science-based strategies for coping with Covid anxiety
- Coronavirus and your mental health: Two experts explain why we panic and how to cope,
- Managing Anxiety and Stress during the Covid-19 outbreak, CDC
- How do you keep down your stress levels at the office?
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Georgia Suicide Awareness Campaign
- Free, confidential 24/7 support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for oneself and others Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
Building Resilience and Supporting Mental Health
- Resilience is Key to Thriving in Law Practice
- Tips to Start Becoming More Resilient in the Legal Profession here
- Staying Mentally Healthy During COVID-19, The Campaign to Change Direction
- Protecting Your Mental Health During the Coronavirus Outbreak, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Online and telephone support groups for individuals with mental illness, NAMI
- In the Rooms
- Smart Recovery
- Author Brian Cuban’s blog “The Addicted Lawyer” offers guidance and options for recovery meetings.
- Importance of seeking help for mental health and substance use disorders, Fear Not: Speaking Out to End Stigma (video)
Leadership & Law Firm Management in a Pandemic
- The Leader’s Guide to Managing Covid-19 Panic
- 8 strategies to set up remote work during the coronavirus outbreak
- A Virtual Structure for Law Firms: Guidelines for Containing Your Lawyers’ Anxiety in the Age of COVID-19
Additional Resources for Georgia Attorneys
- Lawyer Assistance Program
- Suicide Awareness Campaign
- SOLACE | Support of Lawyers, All Concern Encouraged
- Law Practice Management
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers
- Sports & Fitness Meetups
- Wellness Bingo